A few more photos from our visit with Pa. He'll be back soon....next week, I believe!
Beach day.......too chilly to get in the water......never stops Carter.
Pa taught Lainey how to "surf" and how to sing some California tunes.
We went back to Pa's cute little beach side hotel. Such a great find.
Swam and ordered pizza. Only one near drowning! Lainey had swam previously.....the "whole pool"....as she told us......but had her life jacket on. Without it, she forgot and "sunk-ed". Pa saved her. Lost his glasses in the process, but kept the pizza in his mouth. Impressive, no?
Don't invite us to your hot tub.
This is what happens:
Jack inflates himself with the jets.
Lainey ignores the "don't eat in the water" rule.
You've been warned.
Carter is going on his second and last spend-the-night field trip soon. In preparation, his teacher asked the parents to write a letter to our child telling them about life "back home". The letter should be set in the 1850s.......written from outside of California.......to our brave son traveling at sea.
I wrote it from Kansas.......talking about the westward expansion and the Overland Trail growing in popularity. Threw in some facts about that time and referred to his brother and sister, too.
Then......I got crafty. I tea-stained it. Link here.
Watch out, Martha.
Turned out pretty cool. I hope he loves it.
After our date last week, Blake and I hung out on the patio as we do on the weekends and often during the week, too. Since he's
obsessed interested in his Ipad, he perused Google Maps. Found the softball field where he used to watch me play. In the 6th grade. His house backed up to the park.
Kinda stalker-ish. Kinda cute.
(Sagling Elementary for you Plano peeps.)
(Sagling Elementary for you Plano peeps.)
I'm currently obsessed with our backyard. We got a new rug for the kitchen patio. Love! Makes such a difference - not only in how it looks, but for comfort, too.
Blake and kids painted the existing arbor.
And, the Adirondack chairs, too.
He hung some lanterns in the gazebo.
And, through no efforts of our own......the bougainvillea (technically, a California weed), is thriving. I love this flower.
More lanterns were hung in a tree adjacent to the kitchen patio. Battery powered LED lights make them glow. So pretty at night.
It's all starting to come together. And, it's looking good.
But, we're keeping it real. I sent Blake, Doug and Carter out to buy fabric for the chicken cabinet after the existing piece started to mold. This is what they returned with.
Can we load the top with some more crap, please?
I'm waiting for a good sale or end of the season clearance on the following:
*a couch, two chairs, coffee table and rug for the master bedroom patio
*replacement cushions for the table and chairs
All in good time.
In other news:
1. I took my 3 kids + 2 of their friends to Costco tonight for shopping and dinner.
2. I lived to tell about it.
3. Working Mamafest this Friday at the La Jolla Country Club. I hope my Target (paid full price for - holla!) dress blends in well enough.
4. Doug and Brody are visiting this weekend. Then, we're babysitting him next week! (The dog, not Doug.)
5. I've lost 15 pounds total since January. Wish it were more, but I'm happy to be moving in the right direction. To remain focused, Blake and I have pledged to email/text/tell each other every night what we ate that day. Blake eats
like a cracked out frat boy high on "salvia" with only a Taco Bell and Carl's Jr in sight poorly while he travels. We're trying to fix that.
6. Today I ate the following:
cup of coffee with light creamer
15 dark chocolate covered cherries
a Costco hot dog
roasted broccoli with Parmesan
Save it on the critique of the hot dog. Read #1 again if you are going to judge.
7. Bridesmaids was pretty darn good. Highlights: Wilson Phillips "Hold On".....referenced several times throughout the movie. If you don't know every word of this song and can relate it to at least 12 different life experiences during high school, you are dead to me. Also, the food poisoning scene is one I will remember for a VERY long time. I laughed so hard, I cried.
Off to finish my book, peeps. Hope yall are having a good week!