Tuesday, October 21, 2008
#12 Comfort Food - We may be getting snow overnight, so I'm thrilled to have a home-made vegetable soup (details coming) sitting in the refrigerator just waiting to be paired with yummy grilled cheese.
The picture above shows a casserole similar to a favorite in this family made of ham, potato, and cheese. It's perfect for super cold, stay-inside days. It's not at all good for you, so go easy on it!
2 lb precooked cubed potatoes
1/2 lb cooked ham, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
2 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp salt
pinch black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
8 oz (2 cups) shredded swiss cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 quart casserole dish.
2. In large bowl, combine potatoes, ham, mustard, salt and pepper.
3. Warm oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cook 5 minutes, until soft, stirring often; remove. Add onion to bowl with potatoes, folding gently so as not to break up potatoes.
4. Return pan to heat; add butter. When butter starts to foam, whisk in the flour and cook 2 minutes, whisking constantly until flour is incorporated. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring well with each addition. Bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring. Let simmer 3 minutes, until slightly thickened.
5. Remove sauce from heat; stir in 1.5 cups of the cheese, a handful at a time, until smooth. Pour the sauce over the potato mixture and stir until combined. Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish.
6. Bake for 30 minutes; top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer, until top is golden and edges are bubbling. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
I'm big on casseroles during the winter and love chili and all kinds of soup. My goal this year is to perfect a macaroni and cheese bake.....the kind with a crunchy top. If you have a recipe, send it my way, please!
Labels: Fall Favorites